Born in Hartford, Connecticut in 1915 Edward Dugmore trained at the Hartford Art School before going to Kansas City in 1941 to study with Thomas Hart Benton. In 1948, he continued his studies at the California School of Fine Arts where he first met Clyfford Still and fellow student fellow student Ernest Briggs both of whom became close friends. During this period he co-organized an artists collaborative gallery called the Metart Gallery. In 1951 he moved to Guadalajara, Mexico to study at the University of Guadalajara, where he received his M.F.A.
In 1952 he moved to New York and soon became part of the Greenwich Village scene, mixing with Jackson Pollock, Willam de Kooning, Mark Rothko, Barnett Newman, and others. During this period he exhibited with his contemporaries at the Stable Gallery.
From the 1940’s he exhibited widely in the USA including the Guggenheim New York, Whitney Museum, Smithsonian Institiution. His work is in the permanent collection of several prominent museums including the Albright-Knox Art Gallery in Buffalo, the Corcoran Gallery in Washington D.C., the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden in Washington, D.C., the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis, and the Menil Collection in Houston.
Dugmore received several major art awards including the Pollock-Krasner Foundation Lifetime Achievement Award in 1995.
The pictures detailed below are from a private collection – friends of Edward Dugmore, and includes exhibition catalogues and related text.
Edward Dugmore died June 13, 1996 in Minneapolis, Minnesota.