DAVID McCLURE RSA RSW (1926-1998)
Born in Lochwinnoch in 1926, David McClure graduated from Edinburgh College of Art in the early 1950s where his contemporaries included Elizabeth Blackadder, John Houston and David Michie and where students came under the influences of the major Edinburgh figures of the time such as Anne Redpath, William Gillies, John Maxwell, William MacTaggart and Robert Henderson Blyth. In his earlier career he spent significant periods of time working in Spain, Italy, Sicily and Norway.
His art was further enriched by his regard for the French Post-Impressionists, painterly and richly coloured in a long-standing Scottish tradition. Always informed by an intellectual rigour and reference to the wider history of art, literature and music, it is celebratory of the good things in life and nature and of the art of picture making.
McClure taught at Dundee College of Art from 1958-85, retiring as Head of Painting, a post he took over from his great friend Alberto Morrocco.
His work can be found in numerous public and private collections including:
Aberdeen Art Gallery – University of Dundee – Dundee Art Gallery
Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art – University of Edinburgh
University of Stirling – Edinburgh City Art Centre
University of St Andrews – Glasgow Art Gallery – Perth Art Gallery
The Fleming Wyfold Art foundation – Bank of Scotland
British Rail – BBC Scotland – Edinburgh Fund Managers
Towner Art Gallery, Eastbourne – University of Birmingham
Original Art for Sale